Tuesday, September 14, 2010

money saving tips

I don't know about you, but I love to read articles on different ways to save money, not just couponing.  The problem is, these articles very seldom have tips I can put to place in my own life.  At this point, I don't pay for utilities, since they are included in the rent.  I don't have children that need babysitting co-ops.  I don't have a $3-$5 a day coffee habit.  But I still want some good hints on how to spend less in various areas of my life. 

I'm going to spend a little time in between shopping trips :) looking for some hints that we can all use to save a little money in our day-to-day activities.

First, here is an article I found for you about saving money with laundry expenses.  The Simple Dollar suggests using cold water instead of hot and drying your clothes on a line instead of in the dryer.  They also offer a recipe for homemade laundry detergent and give you an alternative to using fabric softener.  There are only eleven points, so it's a pretty quick read. 

On the website Dumb Little Man, I found several more tips, but the one I liked the best is for those of you who work outside the home.  Vending machines and convenience stores are really expensive!!  If you're able, keep a stash of snacks, preferably healthy ones, at your workspace.  That way you avoid paying for the very expensive items in the vending machines or running to the covenience store down the road.


So check these out, and let me know what kinds of frugal tips you practice!

5 comments:

  1. I always shake out my clothes before hanging them on the clothesline, but never applied that same principle to the dryer! Duh, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had never thought of it, but it makes perfect sense. we use a laundromat right now, and since it's a quarter for every ten minutes, it definitely could be advantageous to get more of the water out before drying. i'm going to remember that for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never buy coin wrappers. Banks will give them to you for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The day after Christmas at Barnes & Noble, all calendars are 50% off. They still have a very large selection at that time, so you should be able to find one you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. are there planners and organizers, too, or just wall calendars?

    ReplyDelete