Friday, September 3, 2010

Spectators or Participators

Now, I'm not one to beg for feedback, and I know you guys are reading because my stats say so, but I am really hoping this blog can be a place we can work together to save more on our shopping.  That means tonight I am going to ask you to participate! 

I do my shopping on Saturdays, except for the occasional time I get to do my CVS and Walgreens shopping during the week, so Thursday and Friday nights are the nights that I start getting my shopping lists in order.  And that means I am trying to answer the age-old question:  "What's for dinner?" 

Food can be one of our biggest expenses, but it's one we have the most control over.  You decide what you eat, where you buy what you eat, where you eat, and how you eat.  And that can make the difference on whether you meet the budget for the month.  Um . . . you have a budget, right?  Believe it or not, I feel more freedom with a budget than without.  I guess we'll have to talk about that sometime, too.

The point of all this is that I want recipes.  So pull out your trusty recipe book and find your favorite, and hopefully frugal recipe and post it in the comments.  It can be a recipe for an entree, a side, dessert, a snack, breakfast . . . whatever.  Just make sure it tastes good!  I'll post your recipes as entries so we make sure everyone sees them. 

Here's my offering to the cause:

Key West Chicken

3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs honey
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp chopped garlic (I usually just use garlic powder)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves  (I can find chicken thighs for $1.00/lb pretty much all the time at HEB and bone-in split breasts for $1.00/lb pretty regularly.  So you don't have to use boneless, skinless.  Just use whatever you like and whatever fits your budget.)

In a shallow medium dish, blend soy sauce, honey, vegetable oil, lime juice and garlic.  Place chicken into the mixture.  Marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.  Bake until done.


I love this recipe because it's quick, except for the marinating.  There's very little other prep work so you can spend your evenings doing other things rather than cooking.

Now let's find out what you've been cooking!

2 comments:

  1. I am reading. :)

    But I have no recipes, so I can't help. I don't use them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get back to you when I get home from camp!

    ReplyDelete