Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Learning by Experience

Stacy went shopping on Friday.  She found some good deals, but she also learned a lesson about couponing.  Watch as items ring up and/or check your receipt before you leave the store.  And don't forget to use the coupons you've spent your time clipping!

"I bought an expensive salad dressing only because I had a coupon for $2 off-then forgot to use the coupon. I usually irritate the cashiers by disputing charges at the checkout. This time I was in lala land and missed several errors: 1) I bought 4 loaves of day-old french bread at Wal-Mart for .90 each except I was charged full price for 1, 2)I bought 10 bottles of shampoo at ALPS because they were the lowest I have ever seen them priced. Again, I was randomly charged full price for 4 of those. So to add it up, I wasted $4.89. Ugh!"


If something rings up incorrectly, point it out to the checker.  At the worst, you might have picked up the wrong item.  But at best, you'll save yourself some money by catching those mistakes.  Computers are not infallible!!  If you don't notice the errors until after you've finished the transaction, you should be able to take your receipt to customer service and get it sorted out.

Most important, don't beat yourself up too bad.  We all have our off days and can miss those deals.  Just be kind to yourself, and try to be a little more vigilant to not make a similar mistake next time.  For myself, making a mistake like that makes me a lot less likely to make it again since I'm looking for it more carefully.
Have any of you ever had to dispute the price an item rang up as?  Was it difficult, or did the employee work with you to figure out the mistake?

1 comment:

  1. Actually Kirra, one time coffee rang up at $0.05. When I pointed that out to the cashier she just told me to stock up!

    ReplyDelete