Saturday, November 13, 2010

Yummy Steamed Vegetables!

Are you loving all the frozen vegetables that come in the steamer bags?  I sure am!  Though, I have to say, they are a little expensive.  I checked the unit prices today in comparison to the store brand frozen vegetables without the steamer bag, and really I wasn't surprised.  Some items were twice as expensive as the store brand.  I really don't want to try to steam the vegetables by myself.  I am a big fan of quick and easy. 

ZipLoc and Glad have both recently come out with steamer bags.  I bought a package today.  It came with 10 medium sized bags (appropriate for 2-4 servings; there is a larger version as well).  The price on the shelf was $2.47.  I had a ZipLoc coupon for $.55 off any ZipLoc bag.  That brought the bags down to about $.20 each.  They are intended for vegetables of course, but you can use meat in them as well.  The package suggests that you not reuse the bags because of the risk of cross-contamination, but I don't plan on using any meat in mine, so I plan on reusing them.  So now I can buy a large, economical (make sure to check those unit prices!) bag of frozen broccoli or whatever, and portion out however much I want for dinner into one of those steamer bags.  Also, you can make your own mixed vegetable combinations.  Today I bought broccoli, yellow squash, peas and carrots all in separate bags.  And I can mix them as I wish and season them and have some great steamed vegetables at less cost than using the more expensive vegetables already packaged and seasoned for steaming. 


The most fun ways to save money are to be able to do what you did before but still save some of your hard-earned cash.  What's your best tip for doing/fixing the same thing differently in order to save some money?  Post it here on the blog or on the Facebook page, and let everyone else know your great tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment